The Net Zero Agenda
Nuclear for Climate is an initiative gathering nuclear professionals and scientists from over 150 societies and associations, with the goal of opening a dialogue with policymakers and the public about the necessity of including nuclear energy among the carbon-free solutions to climate change.
We have a vision of a clean, sustainable and abundant low-carbon future for all. Our mission is to accelerate the ability of the world to achieve Net Zero by 2050 by advocating for the use of nuclear energy. We believe that Net Zero Needs Nuclear and these are the reasons why:
- Nuclear is a proven and effective low carbon energy source: Nuclear produces no greenhouse gas emissions while in operation and can replace our current reliance on polluting fossil fuel sources.
- Nuclear is available, scalable and deployable: New nuclear needs to be deployed at scale and urgently, along with renewables, in order for Net Zero targets to be achievable.
- Nuclear is a flexible, affordable and secure source of clean energy: Nuclear can integrate with an increasing supply of variable renewables and varible grid demand to deliver efficient, affordable and secure clean energy systems.
- Nuclear can deliver more than just low carbon electricity: Nuclear is also capable of supporting the decarbonisation of other sectors, such as heating and transport.
- Nuclear supports inclusive and sustainable global development: Nuclear promotes global socio-economic benefits and is strongly aligned to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.